Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The One Where I Spew Deep

This is generally a huge problem for me, and it's why I won't go back to the deepstack tables until I have a bigger roll:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Villain (BB) ($21.06)
UTG ($14.38)
MP ($18.78)
CO ($11.03)
Hero (Button) ($29.30)
SB ($10)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J♣, 9♣
3 folds, Hero bets $0.30, 1 fold, Villain raises to $1.20, Hero calls $0.90

Flop: ($2.45) K♥, A♣, 7♣ (2 players)
Villain bets $1.60, Hero calls $1.60

Turn: ($5.65) 3♥ (2 players)
Villain bets $3.80, Hero raises to $26.50 (All-In), Villain calls $14.46 (All-In)

River: ($42.17) 3♠ (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $42.17 | Rake: $2

I don't mind the call preflop. This hand is very playable, especially deep and in position, against even a strong villain's 3b range. Now, he had a 3b% of 7, so I also thought, given a good flop fit, I could semi-bluff off a decent amount of the time.

The flop comes, and I have a flush draw. Goodie. But it's also where I make my first mistake.

In retrospect, I should have either: a) raise/folded the flop, check behind turn if I missed, and fold river unimproved (obviously, if I hit it's bet turn, bet river, or check turn, bet river) or b) call flop, fold turn.

I put waaay too much emphasis on his 7% 3b stat. We didn't have any light 3b dynamic going on, so there was really no reason to think he's doing it light besides the stat. He also doesn't 3b much from the SB, which I realized later, looking at his stats in PokerTracker.

If he's 3betting light, I felt there were some weak Ax hands that would fold the turn. Maybe even AJ/AQ, depending on the villain. However, on the turn, once he makes that big turn bet, he's very clearly committed to the hand, and I don't think I have the odds to call.

QQ- are not betting the turn. Kx probably isn't. So what is? AK, KK, AA, maybe some weak Ax hands, and of those, maaaaaybe some weak Ax hands are folding. Unless he was an aggro villain, and would bet the turn without a strong made hand, shoving the turn wouldn't be bad. But I didn't have that read.

Obviously, the river bricked, and he did have KK, but I shut down the session right after this hand, as I'm very tempted to go into spew mode after something like that. I ruined a perfectly good session with that play, too. Dammit.

I'm down to $345ish right now. I had some downswings, I came in 8th in a 6max turbo tourney for $85ish, then built up and spewed down again to where I am now. I feel OK, but I definitely am still calling way too much, which is my biggest leak. Trying to bluff-catch when no one bluffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment